Help a Kid start the School Year off Right!
Posted on 6/28/2013
Remember the excitement you had as a child at the start of the NEW school year… You may have enjoyed reconnecting with friends, teachers, family, or you may have enjoyed your new back to school supplies, etc.
Help us share with the community the excitement about going back to school, not the financial hardship aspect. Any individual or group can organize a Community Service Project and help our families.
The Relatives as Parents Program, “RAPP”, seeks your support in providing essential school supplies to children who live with their grandparents and other relatives who are unexpectedly parenting the children of others. Why do these children need your help? RAPP families need help because unexpectedly parenting someone else’s child is challenging.
The Relatives as Parents Program “RAPP” is a part of the Forsyth County Department of Social Services’ Family & Children’s Division who provides support to RAPP families. Email Katie McDaniel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (336) 703-3744 to organize your individual or community service project.
- 1. Contact the RAPP Coordinator, Katie McDaniel. Let her know you will be collecting school supplies for RAPP.
- 2. Collect and/or purchase items you wish to share.
- 3. Schedule a delivery date to bring items to the FC Department of Social Services, RAPP Program, by Monday August 12th at 12 noon – or sooner if available. Sooner helps us teach ‘planning’ by working with the end in mind.
- 4. RAPP uses supply gift items and fills the orders for RAPP families.
- 5. RAPP staff delivers or arranges pickup by all families by August 19th.
- 6. Formal “thank you's” & student volunteer hour forms are mailed directly from RAPP at the completion of the “Back to School” Project, after Labor Day.
For more information view our brochure.