County-Wide Recycling Collection Service Coming Soon
Posted on 2/23/2012
The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners recently awarded an exclusive franchise for single stream curbside recycling collection service in the unincorporated areas of the County. This will be an optional subscription service for households and small businesses.
Recyclables will be collected every other week from 96 gallon carts. The beauty of single stream collection service is that all recyclables can be placed in the carts together; no separation necessary! This convenient, optional service will be provided for the low price of just $2.65 per month, which includes use of the cart.
Waste Management of Carolinas, Inc. is the franchise holder and will be phasing in collection service county-wide over the next six months. Some households will be able to subscribe for service beginning shortly after March 1st with all households in unincorporated areas having access to the service by September 1, 2012.
Recyclables which will be collected:
- Plastic bottles with a neck smaller than the widest part. (Plastic containers without necks such as yogurt cups, butter tubs, ice cream buckets, etc. are NOT included)
- Aluminum beverage cans
- Aluminum pie tins and foil
- Glass food and beverage jars and bottles (caps removed)
- Steel, tin and bi-metal food and beverage cans
- Empty aerosol cans (remove and discard cap, do not crush)
- Cardboard juice and milk cartons
- Cereal and food boxes (remove plastic or foil liners)
- Corrugated cardboard
- Mail, office paper, envelopes, newspapers and inserts, phone books, magazines, catalogs (but not books, spiral notebooks or binders)
- Shredded office paper must be bagged in a clear plastic bag.
The following items cannot be put in the recycle carts for collection: books, deli containers, plastic tubs, light bulbs, Styrofoam, plastic bags or wrap, ceramics, dishes, drinking glasses, mirrors, window glass, paint cans, containers for motor oil, antifreeze, pesticides and other household chemicals.