FAQ Categories


You may register with any political party recognized in the State of North Carolina. Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may also register as unaffiliated. If you do not declare a party, you will be registered as unaffiliated. During a partisan primary election, an unaffiliated voter may vote only if a party authorizes unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. If all parties authorize unaffiliated voters to vote, the voter must choose which party ballot he wishes to vote on the day of the Primary.
If mailed, the registration form must be postmarked at least 25 days prior to the election. If hand-delivered, the registration form must be received at the Board of Elections office no later than 5:00 pm on the 25th day prior to the election.
The polls are open from 6:30 am until 7:30 pm on Election Day.
When you register to vote or make an address change or information change, or if the Board of Elections assigns you to a new precinct or polling place, the Board of Elections sends you a new voter card. Your voting place (polling place) is printed on the card. You are assigned a polling place based on the precinct where you live. You may also search the website voter search utility to determine your registration status and voting location. The voter information is updated daily. If you don't know where to vote, check your registration for the information. If you have moved from the residence address that we have on file, don't wait until Election Day to change your address. You may experience a delay in voting if your residence address is not up to date or if we have sent mail to your voter registration address that was returned to us by the Postal Service.
No. You must vote at the polling place for your precinct on Election Day. The precinct officials there will look for your name on a list of all of the voters in the precinct.
If you are not sure of the status of your voter registration, call the Board of Elections office at 703-2800 and someone will verify your registration status. You may also search the website voter search utility to determine your registration status and voting location. The voter information there is updated daily.
If a registered voter in Forsyth County has moved within Forsyth County more than thirty days prior to an election and failed to notify the Board of Elections, it is a violation of the law to vote in his/her old precinct. The voter may still vote on Election Day. Call the Board of Elections for further information. Don’t wait until the last minute or miss the deadline. Print the Voter Registration Application Form and mail it to us.
If the voter wishes to vote on Election Day, the voter will be allowed to vote outside the polling place. This procedure is called “curbside voting”.
All registered voters in Forsyth County may request an absentee ballot by mail or may vote absentee in person (one-stop voting). Listing an excuse is no longer required. For more detailed information, read about Absentee Voting.
North Carolina law now allows No Excuse Absentee Voting for all elections. You may submit a written request to have a ballot mailed to you or vote at designated locations. Read more about Absentee Voting.
Reasons for removing voter registration are specifically outlined in North Carolina General Statute 163.82.14. We cannot cancel a voter’s registration just because someone tells us that we should. Voter Registration cards are sent first class mail and are addressed to a specific person. Any first class mail that you receive that is not addressed to you should be returned to the postman unopened. You should note on the piece of mail that the person does not live at your address. Only after two or more such mailings are returned to our office. and then after two federal elections have passed, may we begin the removal process. Otherwise, we must receive official notice that the voter has registered elsewhere, has died, or has been convicted of a felony before we can remove a voter’s registration records. We may also remove a voter’s registration records if we receive a signed, written request from the voter. If your son is still on our books, please let him know to notify us that he wishes to be removed.
Come experience the Tanglewood stables!
Getting Married?  Complete your worksheet online.