Nonprofit Resource Center
The Nonprofit Resource Center offers research materials on a wide variety of topics
of interest to the nonprofit sector. The NRC collection, found in the Information
Services department on the second floor of the Central Library, is a Funding Information
Network partner affiliated with the Foundation Center in New York City. The NRC provides visitors
with free public access to:
- information about starting a nonprofit
- grant maker and grant directories
- periodicals of interest to the nonprofit sector
- books on fundraising
- books on proposal writing
- books about board development and nonprofit management
- the Foundation Center's electronic databases
The Nonprofit Resource Center is available anytime the library is open. Appointments
can be made for those who wish to have an in-depth orientation to the collection
and its uses.
The Foundation Center
The Foundation Center is the nation’s leading authority
on philanthropy - providing nonprofits and the grantmakers supporting them tools
they can use and information they can trust.
The Foundation Center’s website
helps you to:
- Get Started — free online training and webinars on topics covering proposal writing,
corporate giving and grantseeking basics.
- Find Funders - use the Foundation Finder to look up basic information about foundations.
Use the 990 Finder to access detailed tax returns from more than one million foundations.
- Gain Knowledge - free access to:
- Philanthropy News Digest — for news in the world of philanthropy
- Pub-Hub — for online access to thousands of foundation-sponsored reports
- The Catalog of Nonprofit Literature — an authoritative list of published material
in the field of philanthropy
Foundation Directory Online (FDO)
The Foundation Center's Internet database covers over 98,000 US foundations and
corporate givers. Link your funding needs to grantors who have given to similar
causes. FDO includes descriptions of 1.6 million recent grants and lists more than
400,000 key decision-makers. This subscription database is available free at the
Nonprofit Resource Center at the Central Library. Appointments may be made for 2
hours, one day in advance by calling the Information Services department at 336-703-3020.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance / Office of Management & Budget (R351.8
C) also available online.
- At the Foundation Center’s website, get started with Individual Grantseekers
Foundation Grants to Individuals Online is a subscription
database of foundation and public charity programs that fund students, artists,
researchers, and other individual grantseekers. Free at the Nonprofit Resource Center.
- Associations Now
- The Chronicle Of Philanthropy
- Common Ground: Linking North Carolina’s Nonprofit Sector
- Corporate Giving Watch
- Grassroots Fundraising Journal
- Nonprofit Board Report
- Nonprofit Management & Leadership
- Nonprofit Times
- Nonprofit World
HandsOn Northwest NC builds and strengthens the capacity of area nonprofits to fulfill
their missions and enhance the vitality of our community. They provide information
and education, promote empowerment and advocacy, facilitates networking and mentoring,
and fosters connections and collaboration. Visit their website at www.handsonnwnc.org.
The North Carolina Center for Nonprofits
is a statewide network of member organizations. The Center advocates for the nonprofit
sector and provides information and training to member nonprofits. The Center publishes
Common Ground, a monthly magazine for the sector.
Internet Sites of Interest to the Nonprofit Sector