Until Friday, September 29, 2017, Pistol Purchase Permits will be processed by appointment only. To schedule
the preferred available date and time for an appointment click “View online Calendar”.
Applicants will be required to come to the Forsyth County Public Safety Center to make
application. The processing of your application will begin at the date and time of your
appointment. During the scheduled appointment, the applicant may request multiple purchase permits.
Pistol Purchase Permit Application
Address Attachment for Weapon_Permits
Pistol Permit Mental Health Release
View online Calendar
Application for a handgun purchase permit takes place at the Forsyth County Public Safety Center located at 301 North Church Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101.
Hours of Operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (excluding Wednesdays and Holidays)
8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Beginning October 2, 2017 Handgun Purchase Permits will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
You may complete the application electronically prior to coming to the Sheriff’s Office.
The processing of your application will begin on the date and time that you apply in-person.
The operational hours will be as follows:
- Walk-ins – Residents are served on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Appointments – Residents may select the preferred available date and time for an appointment.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, FridayAppointments on the half hour from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- WednesdayAppointments are in the afternoon ONLY on the half hour from 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Each permit is $5.00.
Method of Payment
Cash or Credit/Debit cards are accepted.
*A processing fee will be charged by the vendor for each transaction.*
- Must schedule an appointment and apply in person.
- Must be able to properly complete application process.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to purchase from federal firearms dealer and 18
for a private sale.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card.
- Must be a U. S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident.
- Must be a resident of North Carolina for a minimum of 30 days and provide proof of being a Forsyth County
resident. (Such as a NC ID or Driver's License with a Forsyth County address)
- Must provide a list of previous addresses back to age 16 or the past 20 years, whichever is shorter.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must not have any pending criminal charges that if convicted would be a disqualifying
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Must be eligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of State
or Federal Law. See N.C. Firearm Laws.
- Applicant may be required to authorize a mental health check.
Applicants will be contacted when permit is ready to be picked up. Letters of denial
will be sent to the email provided at the time of application. Should the applicant
not have an email address, a letter will be mailed to the address as provided during
the application process.
Applicant must provide a valid N.C Driver’s License or N.C. Identification Card when the permit is picked up.
- During the scheduled appointment, the applicant may request multiple purchase permits.
- Permit applications are taken under oath. False or fictitious information provided
during the application process may cause the applicant to be criminally charged.
- Handgun permits are for the purpose of purchasing handguns. One permit is required
for each handgun purchase.
- The permit does not entitle the applicant to carry a concealed weapon.
- Once the permit is approved, the permit is valid for a period of 5 years.
- Permit is not renewable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Address and name changes will be processed if requested for unused and valid permits in your possession.
- The Permits Unit does not provide application status over the telephone or email.
Notification of approved/denied permits will be made upon determination.
The Permits Unit does not provide application status over the telephone or email. Notification of approved/denied permits will be made upon determination.