Military discharge documents may be recorded in the Register of Deeds office to ensure safe keeping of the documents. There is no fee for recording these records and certified copies can be obtained from this office at no charge subject to the following provisions.

General Statute 47-113.2

Effective January 1, 2004, all military discharge documents filed in the Register of Deeds office shall be considered a public record with restricted access.

Authorized parties who may record and/or request copies of military discharge documents include:

  1. The veteran named in the document.
  2. Agent or representative of the veteran authorized in writing and using approved form:
    • the veteran or veteran's widow or widower in a notarized authorization
    • a court representing the subject
    • the veteran's executor acting on behalf of the deceased veteran
  3. Authorized agent of the NC Division of Veteran Affairs, the US Department of Veteran Affairs, Department of Defense, or a court official who is assisting the veteran or veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
  4. Agent or representative of the NC State Archives.

When recording or requesting a copy of a military discharge, forms adopted by the NC Register of Deeds Association and the Division of Veteran Affairs must be completed and presented by an authorized party.

We cannot accept requests for copies by mail.

Please contact the district service officer of the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs: 2511 Neudorf Road, Suite 1
Clemmons, NC 27012
(336) 766-1496

Online Tools