Where & When
Incident Reports may be obtained in the Records Division on the 2nd floor (main
entrance) of the Sheriff’s Office Administration Building located at 120 West Third
St. in downton Winston-Salem.
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
The general public may request in person a copy of the front page of an Incident
Report. A full Incident Report may be obtained only if authorized by a Court Order
signed by a judge. Suspects/offenders are not issued copies of reports unless authorized
by a court order.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card.
- Application is made in writing at the Sheriff’s Office Public Window.
- Applicant must provide the Report Number as issued by the Law Enforcement Officer
initiating the report.
- Reports concerning juveniles may only be made by the parent or legal guardian. Copy
of birth certificate must be provided at time of request.
- Insurance companies may request reports by forwarding a request on company letterhead,
along with a self-addressed envelope to the Sheriff’s Office.
- Requests for reports after 4:00 pm are processed the next business day.
- The Records Division does not provide criminal history background checks for the
general public. (May be obtained from Forsyth County Clerk of Court in the Hall
- Reports must be obtained from the agency that initiated the report. Example: Accident
Report (city limits) may be obtained from the Winston Salem Police Department or
Accident Report (city limits on I-40) may be obtained from the State Highway Patrol.