- By Jody Lohman
- Posted Thursday, February 4, 2021
Free Tax Assistance
While the library will not be offering onsite tax assistance this year, AARP and Forsyth Free Tax will still be providing tax assistance by appointment only. View the Tax Newsletter for some options for getting free tax help or obtaining IRS federal and North Carolina tax forms and publications.
AARP Tax Aide
AARP Tax Aide will be offering tax preparation by appointment only. Note that in order to have AARP Tax Aide provide tax assistance, THE TAXPAYER MUST HAVE AN EMAIL ACCOUNT. To get started, go to www.wstaxaide.com
Forsyth Free Tax
Forsyth Free Tax will also be offering tax preparation by appointment only. To schedule an appointment with Forsyth Free Tax, first pick up a tax packet at Experiment in Self Reliance (ESR) at 3480 Dominion St. in Winston-Salem on Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Then schedule an interview after Feb. 12 at one of the following locations:
Experiment in Self Reliance - 336-722-9400 ext. 172
3480 Dominion St., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27105
Appointment times (beginning Feb. 17):
Monday - Thursday from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Forsyth Technical Community College, Robert Strickland Center - 336-734-7656
2100 Silas Creek Pkwy., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27103
Appointment Times (beginning Feb. 15):
Monday and Wednesday From 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday from 1 – 7 p.m.
What to Bring to the Appointment:
- Photo ID for taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security ID or ITIN ID of each person on the tax return
- W-2 forms and/or 1099s
- Social Security statements (SSA-1099)
- All documents reflecting earnings
- Last year's tax return
- Medicare card with an "A" at the end of the number
- Evidence of deductible expenses
- All childcare provider names, addresses and employer ID (EIN) or SS numbers
- Economic Impact Payments received (in 2020 and separately in 2021)
- Income and expenses for sole proprietorship (Schedule C)
- 1095-A form if you have Marketplace (ACA) insurance
- Checking or savings account number for direct deposit of a refund
Library staff and volunteers are NOT able to provide any tax assistance or advice regarding tax forms or tax returns.