- By Teresa Bryant
- Posted Monday, July 5, 2010
Attention Generous Community Members!
The Relatives as Parents Program, “RAPP”, seeks your assistance in providing school supplies to children who live with their grandparents and other relatives. Why do these children need your help? Unexpectedly parenting someone else’s child is challenging. Discrepancies in resources for relative caregivers increase stress during harsh economic times. “RAPP” strives to “fill the gaps” in meeting the needs of relative caregivers and their families. Your participation is vital to support deserving children! Help us reach beyond the 170 children sponsored last year!
Who are some relative caregivers in our community?
- A grandmother (age 68) & grandfather (age 65) raising their five year old grand daughter
- A sister, (age 26) raising her 12 year old sibling
- A great aunt, (age 44), raising her 15 year old niece
- A grandfather (age 55) and a step grand mother (age 50), raising their six year old grandson.
- A grandmother (age 85) & grandfather (age 87) raising their thirteen year old grandson.
Organize a Community Service Project
Email Teresa Bryant today at call her at (336) 703-3744 to organize your community service project.
How to Get Started
- Group calls in and advises RAPP Coordinator, Teresa Bryant. Your group will be collecting school supplies for RAPP.
- Collect or purchase items you wish to share.
- Let us know upfront if delivery is an option from your team. Deliver items to FC Department of Social Services by August 13th at 12 noon. Our preference is sooner than August 13th if that fits your group schedule.
- RAPP takes your items and fills the orders for RAPP families. RAPP staff delivers or arranges pickup by all families between August 9-24.
- Formal thank you's from RAPP are mailed to the sponsor directly from RAPP at the completion of the “Back to School” Project.