• By Walkertown Branch
  • Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Dedication of the Historical Walkertown Photo Wall Saturday, April 21st

Join us for a special dedication of the Historical Walkertown Photo Wall at Walkertown Branch Library on Saturday, April 21st from noon to 2 pm. This event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Walkertown Library and the Walkertown Area Historical Society. The photo wall was created in late 2015 and Walkertown residents have enjoyed the glimpse into the past of their community while visiting the library. In honor of the event, there will be a musical performance by local singer Amelia Patel from the Triad Performing Arts Center. Light refreshments will be served.

The wall is a true Walkertown community collaboration. The ten photos that comprise the wall were provided by local Walkertown residents that the Walkertown Historical Society digitized. The canvas photographic prints were made by Freedom Creative Solutions, a Winston Salem company that was founded in Walkertown. The wood used to support the canvas prints was both grown and milled in Walkertown by TreeHugger Forestry.

The ten photographs featured on the wall include:

The Walkertown School, which was completed in 1924 and replaced the 1908 public school. The school building stood near where the Walkertown Library stands now. (Courtesy of Pam Ward Byrd)

The Walkertown Fire Department’s first fire truck from 1953 is shown with Clyde P. Webster, Walkertown’s first fire chief. (Courtesy of Walkertown Fire Department Archives)

Walkertown High School cheerleaders from the 1940s pose in front of the stone stadium at the football field. The stadium was built by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s and is located behind the library.

Lois Elizabeth Russell and the 1954 graduating class of Russell’s Business College. Russell, a Walkertown resident from the mid-1980s until her death in 2006, founded the school in 1945 in Winston-Salem.

C.W. Jones Livery on Salem Road, which began in 1909 after the daughters of the former proprietor Alfred Rumley leased the property to C.W. Jones. (Courtesy of Plummer Vanhoy).

A 1904 photograph shows children in front of their school built by Thomas Albert Crews. The school stood near the location of the Walkertown High School and Middle School. (Courtesy of Melvin Kiser, Jr.).

Walkertown High School women’s basketball team in the 1939-40 school year with school principal John Scott. (Courtesy of Jane Morris)

N.D. Sullivan Tobacco Company that was located on Sullivantown Road. It operated from 1858 to 1919, when it was purchased by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Courtesy of Plummer Van Hoy)

The Walkertown Depot in 1958 with Myrtle Quinn, agent.

The Westmoreland General Store which was near Daisy Station on Old Walkertown Road.

For more information about the Historical Walkertown Photo Wall, read “Historical photo wall installed at Walkertown Branch Library”from the Winston Salem Journal, Dec 30, 2015.

Dedication of the Historical Walkertown Photo Wall
Saturday, April 21st from noon to 2 pm

Walkertown Branch Library
2969 Main St. Walkertown, NC 27051

Call (336) 703-2990 for more information.

Click here for driving directions.

Work with Us

Employment Opportunities

Job Opportunities

Volunteer Opportunities

Open Appointments List