- By Lynne Mitchell
- Posted Monday, October 17, 2011
Step Up Forsyth Week 5 Challenge - Eat Healthy Snacks
Healthy snacks can be part of a healthy eating plan - the key is planning!! Healthy snacks can increase your vitamin, mineral, and fiber intake and keep you from overeating at mealtime. Snacks should be no more than 200 calories. Some snack suggestions include:
- Fruits and vegetables. Fruits and veggies are naturally low calorie and give you a sense of fullness after eating. They also provide vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients.
- Whole grains. Whole-grain snacks give you fiber, B vitamins and energy for maximum performance. Try low-fat whole-grain crackers, whole-grain pretzels and whole-grain crisp breads.
- Nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds provide protein, fiber and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. Nuts and seeds are high in calories so don't eat them too many. Check the nutrition label!
- Low-fat dairy products. Cheese and dairy products contain calcium and protein, plus many other vitamins and minerals. Choose 1% or nonfat versions. Some yogurts have extra added sugar, so look for low-calorie or "light" varieties.
Week 5 Challenge Form