- By Lynne Mitchell
- Posted Monday, October 8, 2012
Step Up Forsyth encourages you to visit a local park!
Our community has great park and recreational facilities – there is something for people of all ages and abilities to enjoy. Learn more about local parks by clicking on the links below:
Information about Step Up Forsyth
This year’s program starts Sunday, September 16 and runs through Saturday, November 10 and you can join at any time. To get maximum benefit, it is best to participate the full 8 weeks – but is never too late to join the program.
What do I have to do to join Step Up Forsyth?
Step Up Forsyth is about making a commitment to health. We ask that you commit to being active at least 5 times/week for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. If this goal is too ambitious — start with what is comfortable for you and ask your doctor or health care provider for guidance.
It is okay to break your activity down into smaller segments (three 10-minute segments or two 15-minute segments). Do what works best for you!
Form a team. Organize your family, workplace, congregation or civic group as a Step Up Forsyth! team. This is a great way to team up to improve health! Each team member will electronically log their daily minutes of physical activity time during the 8-week program.
Team member responsibilities: Commit to engage in physical activity at least 30 minutes a day, record time (in minutes) on electronic activity log, and engage in some form of physical activity at least 5 days per week for the 8-weeks of Step Up Forsyth!
Join as an individual. Register on your own, log your time, and be eligible for prizes!
Please check with your health care provider before starting an exercise program.
Step Up Forsyth e-newsletters
As a participant in Step Up Forsyth you will receive a weekly e-newsletter on Thursdays that will highlight all things LOCAL, including:
- Local Foods— Farmers Markets, Farms, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and Food Buying Co-ops
- Weekly recipes from Cancer Services
- Local Farmer Spotlights
- Parks, playgrounds and recreation areas
- Weekly exercise and fitness tips from the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina
2012 team and individual prizes
Step Up Forsyth has great prizes!!
- Largest team – grand prize trophy (will not be eligible for other trophy categories)
- Largest Faith-based team
- Largest School team (private or public school)
- Largest organizational team (business, non-profit, government, university, etc)
Individual Prizes – selected at random among people that complete at least 6 weeks of the program.
- Grand Prize - One-year family membership to the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina
- 15— $50 gift certificates to Omega Sports
Also, Step Up Forsyth! Let’s Go Local T-shirts for the largest teams (up to 500 will be given away) and reusable grocery bags as prizes for special events.
Click here for all information about the program and weekly newsletters