- By Jacquelyn White
- Posted Thursday, March 3, 2016
Digital magazines and newspapers now available through OverDrive
We've expanded digital collection with the addition of OverDrive Periodicals - electronic magazines and periodicals can now be found in our North Carolina Digital Library collection. You'll be able to get the latest issues for free from the library's OverDrive website. Periodicals from this collection come in the NOOK periodicals format, which means that you'll need the free NOOK reading app or a NOOK tablet to read them.
Follow these steps to find, get, and read NOOK periodicals from your library:
- Start here.
- Find a periodical. You can search for periodicals by name or use the Advanced Search to find all titles in the NOOK Periodicals format.
- Once you've found a periodical that looks interesting, mouse over it (or tap it, on a mobile device) and select Send to NOOK app.
- A pop-up window will open, explaining what happens the first time you send a periodical to NOOK. Select Accept to Continue.
Note: Check Don't show this message again if you don't want to see this pop-up every time you get a periodical.
- If you're not already signed into your library account, you'll be prompted to do so now.
- If this is your first time getting a NOOK periodical, continue to step 6. If you've sent periodicals to your NOOK account before, skip to step 8.
The first time you send a periodical to your NOOK account, you'll be taken to a Barnes & Noble page to sign into your NOOK (BN.com) account. If you don't already have a free NOOK account, you'll be prompted to register for one.
- After you've signed into (or created) your NOOK account, select Grant Access. This is a one-time step that allows periodicals in your library account to be sent to your NOOK account.
Note: None of your personal information from your NOOK account will be shared with OverDrive or the library.
- Your periodical is now sent to your NOOK account. On our library's OverDrive website, you'll be taken to your Periodical History page, where you can see a complete list of periodicals you've successfully sent to NOOK. To read your periodical, switch over to your NOOK reading app or NOOK tablet.
Periodicals that you send to NOOK will stay in your NOOK account forever (unless you manually remove them). You don't have to worry about returning them to the library, and you'll never be charged for them.
If you get an error when you try to send a periodical to your NOOK account
If the periodical wasn't successfully sent to your NOOK account, you'll find it waiting on your Checkouts page (located under your Account on your library's OverDrive website). From here, you can select Re-send to NOOK app to try again, or Clear from Checkouts to remove it from your library account.