Union Cross Park was once a self-contained community. It was staffed and operated
by the United States Air Force. The Union Cross Radar Station was built in the 1950's
as a surveillance post. The site included a NCO Club, several miscellaneous buildings,
a lighted softball field, 1 tennis court and a 5-story concrete radar tower, visible
for several miles in all directions.
The property was abandoned by the Air Force and Forsyth County petitioned the Department
of Interior to transfer ownership of the land to the County for public recreation
purposes. On April 5, 1974, Forsyth County Parks and Recreation Department received
its first public park.
Because of its dilapidated condition from abandonment, the site underwent an immediate
clean up and face-lift. Unusable structures were removed and salvageable recreation
facilities were repaired. In the late 70's, the park underwent extensive development
of new facilities with the help of funding from the Bureau of Outdoor Recreation.
Today, Union Cross Park is a fully developed park and well used by its patrons.
A website documenting the history of the Radar Base is maintained by former squadron
member John Kessler. Click here to visit this website.