Individual Personal Property / Listing
North Carolina General Statutes require that all persons must annually list property
that is subject to taxation within the time period of January 2 through January
31. The Board of County Commissioners has the authority to extend the listing period.
Traditionally the Board has extended the listing period to February 15.
Real estate in Forsyth County is permanently listed and does not require an annual
listing. If you have received a listing form in the previous year for listing your
property, a listing form will automatically be mailed to you at the address of record
as of January 1. If you do not receive a listing form and you have property which
is required to be listed, it is your responsibility to obtain a listing form by
contacting the Individual Personal Property Section of the Assessor's Office during
regular office hours. A listing form is required if one or more of the following
- You have made improvements to your real estate during the previous year. Maintenance
such as painting/wallpaper, replacements of existing structure, landscaping, etc.
is not considered an improvement and does not require listing.
- You own unregistered vehicles which do not have an active North Carolina registration.
- You own other reportable personal property such as boats, boat motors, jet skiis,
- You own miscellaneous non-household personal property such as tractors, horse tack,
- You own a manufactured home.
If you have purchased real estate as of January 1 or your property was reviewed
for any purpose, you may receive a listing form to review the information we have
on file. Please make any necessary corrections, verify telephone numbers, sign,
date and return the form to our office. Failure to list within the required period
will result in a penalty of 10% of the total tax levied.
If your value of real property is under appeal, you must still complete your listing
abstract and file on time.
For information regarding billing and payment of your property taxes, refer to Tax Collections.