- By April W Bowman
- Posted Monday, March 15, 2021
April/May Goat and Sheep Workshop Series
(photo credit to John Brasfield of Brasfield Club Lambs) Join us online for an exciting webinar series all about goat and sheep management topics! The series will take place on Monday evenings at 7:00 p.m. starting on April 19th and ending on May 10th for a total of four webinars. You can choose to register for one or multiple sessions. The entire webinar series is FREE! Webinar Schedule (Mondays at 7:00 p.m.):
- April 19: Producer Panel A panel of sheep and goat producers that will be sharing from their experience and different management strategies:
- including grazing management
- feeding programs
- April 26: Small Ruminant Mineral Nutrition, Dr. Jeannette Moore, NC State University What is the science behind small ruminant mineral requirements, and how can we avoid serious mistakes such as killing sheep by using cattle mineral? Dr. Moore will cover the basics of small ruminant mineral nutrition and will be happy to answer questions.
- May 3: Vaccination and Other Components of Small Ruminant Herd/Flock Health, Dr. Kevin Anderson, NC State Veterinary Medicine Overview of recommended vaccines and other aspects of small ruminant herd/flock health.
- May 10: Genetic Selection of Small Ruminants, Dr. Andrew Weaver, NC State Extension and Dr. Scott Greiner, Virginia Tech This webinar will cover small ruminant selection basics including discussion of crossbreeding systems, purebred selection, utilization of performance records, and estimated breeding values. Important traits for small ruminant production in the southeast will also be discussed such as selection for parasite resistance.
Register Online: https://go.ncsu.edu/goatsheepseries21.
Piedmont Regional Goat & Sheep Conference Webinar Series Flyer
Producer Panel Bios
About Zoom (Online Platform Being Used): This webinar series will be delivered through Zoom, which is an online video communications platform that is free for users. You can download the free app to your phone or you can join by computer. If you cannot join by smartphone or computer, you can call in and listen from any phone. Once registered, you will be provided with the information needed to join the webinar session(s).
For more information, email, April Bowman, Extension Agent, Livestock, Forages, and 4-H Youth Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 336-703-2855.