Qualifications to Vote in Forsyth County:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- At least 18 years of age.
- If you are 17 years of age and will be 18 by the date of the next general election you may register.
- If you are at least 16 years of age, you may fill out a registration form to preregister.
- A resident of Forsyth County for 30 days prior to the election.
- Must not be serving a sentence for a felony conviction (including probation or parole). If a prospective
voter has previously been convicted of a felony, his/her citizenship rights must be restored. For more
information on voting rights for those in the North Carolina criminal justice system,
To register to vote or update your current voter registration you must:
- Complete a voter registration form.
- Print the form.
- Sign the form (ink to paper). Electronic signatures are NOT acceptable.
- Complete, sign, and mail the form to our office:
Forsyth County Board of Elections
201 N Chestnut Street
Winston Salem, NC 27101
- The form may also be dropped off in person to the same address Monday-Friday from 8-5 p.m.
The deadline to register to vote in North Carolina is 25 days before the date of an election.
The registration must be received or postmarked by the voter registration deadline in order to be considered
timely. Persons who register at the DMV or other agencies will be considered registered as of the date the
application is given to the agency.
If you are submitting a voter registration form for a new registration or a change of party affiliation, the
county board of elections must receive your original signature within 20 days of the voter registration deadline for an election.
College Student Voter Registration:
College students in North Carolina may register to vote in their school’s county instead of their home county if they do not have a “clear intent to return” to their original address after graduation. Alternatively, they may maintain their registration in their home county and vote there with an absentee ballot.
You may check your voter registration by clicking here.
You may cancel your voter registration by clicking here.
You may remove a deceased relative from the voter registration by clicking here.
Click here for the Voter Registration Drive Guide flyer and click here for the Voter Registration Drive Guide brochure.
Click here for the Student Election Guide.