The Walkertown Library serves the town of Walkertown, NC and the surrounding communities of Paddison Memorial, King, Walnut Cove, Belews Creek, and Germanton. This dynamic community with strong family and church ties is experiencing rapid growth, and the library staff strives to keep up with the needs of this expanding, diverse population. The library is located between Walkertown Elementary and Walkertown Middle schools and serves as an extension of the schools’ media centers. In addition to offering a full range of library services, the Walkertown Branch serves as the regular meeting place for the Walkertown Town council and the Walkertown Area Historical Society. The Library is also a voting site. Since its opening in 1992, the Walkertown library has received strong community support. The Library Manager at Walkertown Branch is Jacquelyn White.
The Walkertown Library is in the heart of the hustle and bustle of downtown Walkertown. As a focal point in the community, we feature:
Our facility’s size is 10,800 square feet filled with materials for the community’s use.
For many years, the Walkertown community’s library services were delivered by the Forsyth County Public Library bookmobile. Walkertown was the last remaining stop on the route when the community bookmobile service ended in 1992. In 1986, the Leight family donated its 1902 home to the Town of Walkertown with hope that it could become a library.
After growing community support and vocal representation by Walkertown Mayor Gray Swain for a library in Walkertown, Forsyth County decided to build a new library facility. The project was funded by both a state grant from the legislature and a 1987 bond referendum that also funded an automation system For FCPL. The Walkertown Branch Library was designed by architect Stuart McCormick from the architectural firm Calloway, Johnson, Moore and built at a cost of $1.1 million. The firm received an award for design excellence from the North Carolina Institute of Architects for the work on the library.