No youth under 18 years of age shall be employed by any employer in any occupation without a youth employment certificate unless specifically exempted. Read the Labor Laws of N.C. regarding youth employment.

  1. Print a blank Youth Employment Certificate (Work Permit).
  2. The youth should complete the top sections from "Name" down through "Zip Code".
  3. The employer should complete the remaining sections from "Job Description" down through "Area Code and Phone Number" and sign the form. *Note: Employer must appropriately mark the "ABC On-premises Permit?" section.
  4. Obtain the signature of a parent, guardian, custodian, or person standing in place of a parent as defined in 29 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 570.126. *Note: This signature is not required for a youth who has been issued a final decree of emancipation by a court of competent jurisdiction pursuant to Chapter 7B, Article 35 of the N.C. General Statutes.
  5. Take the completed certificate and two photocopies of the completed certificate along with a "proof of age" document (birth certificate, driver's license, learner's permit, state-issued ID, passport, etc.) to the first floor of the Department of Social Services at 741 North Highland Avenue in Winston-Salem. Once the information has been verified, the youth will be asked to sign the form in the presence of the issuing officer.
  6. Provide a copy of the "issued" certificate to your employer on or before the first day of work. The employer is required to maintain this certificate on file.

Online Tools