If Only . . .
only . . . I had the opportunity to see my grandchildren in Virginia. If only I
could see the ocean or take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the spring. If only
I could hear a concert or attend a play. All the “if only (s)” that a person replays
in their mind as they age, always planning to do something but waiting for the right
time. Suddenly the right time has slipped away and the opportunity to do something
presents more of a challenge because you have been diagnosed with a serious illness.
As individuals are faced with the unexpected, the Department of Social Services
(DSS)/ Adult Services Division, through a generous gift by former Forsyth County
resident, Mr. O. Moser, would like to try and meet some of these unfulfilled expectations.
The “If Only” Program, by and through its Advisory Committee, and administered by
the Department of Social Services (DSS) would like to grant residents of Forsyth
County that have a disabling and life threatening illness a request using proceeds
from a generous gift by a former Forsyth County resident, Mr. O. Moser. We have
called this program “If Only”. By working together with businesses in Forsyth County,
we will do our best to make an approved request become a reality.
The “If Only” Program will consider requests from applicants who meet the following
- At least 55 years of age
- Have a disabling and life threatening condition
- Have the physical and cognitive ability to participate
- Are fully aware of the request and are able to identify a family or friend that
may be able to accompany the individual, if needed.
- Submit a completed application to the "If Only" Program located at the Department
of Social Services
- A resident of Forsyth County and a United States citizen
To begin the application process, you will need to send the following:
- A completed application form
- A personal letter that describes your request, why you need help and the importance
of the request for you. This letter can be written by you or another person on your
behalf. Please keep the length of the letter to no more than one page.
- Statement from your physician stating that you are able to participate in the requested
The Program is unable to grant the following types of requests:
- Cash value in excess of $2000
- Automobile or RV rentals or purchase
- Purchase of property including homes, trailers, vehicles
- Travel outside the United States
- Medical or psychiatric treatment
- Legal Services
- Surprise requests on behalf of someone
A completed application, including letter, request form, and physician’s statement
should be mailed to the “If Only” Program in care of the Adult Division of the Department
of Social Services at the address listed below. Incomplete applications can not
All requests will be reviewed by the Advisory Committee and submitted to the Director
of DSS or designee for a final decision. If your request is approved the duration
of time needed to complete the application process and to grant the request will
depend on available resources. A representative from DSS or a DSS Volunteer will
contact you regarding the decision and will help to make arrangements for your request,
If you need more information, please contact Diane Wimmer by email or call her at 703-3870.