Obtaining a Marriage License
A North Carolina Marriage License may be obtained from the Register of Deeds Office
in any county in North Carolina. The license is good for 60 days from the date of
issue and a ceremony can be held in any location within North Carolina. After the
ceremony, the license must be returned to the county that issued the license.
Marriage licenses issued today:
Saturday, November 28, 2015,
are valid through:
Tuesday, January 26, 2016.
Steps to Obtain a Marriage License in Forsyth County
- Applicants must complete a worksheet. This can be done online, or at the Register of Deeds Office. Completing the worksheet
online will save
considerable time in the office.
- See the
sample worksheet for information you will need to be able to complete the worksheet.
- Applicants must finish their application in person at the Register of Deeds Office.
If over 18 years of age and one applicant is unable to appear in person, the other
party to the marriage must appear in person on behalf of the applicant and submit
a sworn and notarized affidavit, along with original proof of age and social security
number for both parties. If the presenting party is not able to bring original proofs
for the other party, they may present notarized copies. Copies must include a notary
statement, seal and signature attesting to the authenticity. An Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance form
may be printed.
What You Need to do BEFORE Coming to Our Office AND what you need to BRING to our
- The hours for obtaining a marriage license in Forsyth County are between 8:00 am
and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must be in our office before 4:30 pm. We
do not issue marriage licenses after that time.
- A license may be used immediately or at any time within 60 days from the date of
- If you plan to get married by a Magistrate, you must make an appointment.
Please call (336) 779-6319 between 8:00 - 9:00 am or 4:00 - 5:00 pm to schedule
a ceremony in Winston-Salem or Kernersville. Be sure to ask for directions to their
- If you plan to obtain a marriage license in another North Carolina County, contact
them directly for current hours and requirements. Click here for a link to other NC Counties websites. Once
there, click on the map for a specific county’s contact information.